Saturday, April 14, 2012

School Library Month


What a wonderful idea! I can’t let this one slip by. The American Association of School Librarians established April as “School Library Month” and their theme this year is, “You belong @ your library.” I couldn’t agree more.

I have wonderful childhood memories of my weekly trips to our school library. That’s where I first met, The Black Stallion, King of the Wind and my favorite, Justin Morgan Had a Horse. The librarian very patiently helped me search for the perfect book each week, even when I was the last one in my class to come to a decision. I remember very clearly the day she told me I’d read every horse story in the library and gently suggested I move on to another topic, like “dogs.”

Library day was the highlight of my week and I see the same excitement in my students when they tell me about their library books. Unfortunately, they can no longer check them out every week due to cutbacks. Next year, things could become even more dismal. It breaks my heart to see the budget cuts in our schools. All programs are hurting, and all are important, but I feel it is imperative that we safeguard our school library. If we expect our students to want to learn to read and write, we need to tempt them with good literature and warm associations with books. When my children were young, they could hardly wait to start school. And the reason they wanted to go to school was to learn to read all those marvelous stories they’d heard from books. We need to keep that yearning alive in our students.


Take a look at some of my speech kids enjoying (and showing off) their library books:




I want to see these happy faces remain excited about our library and the treasures they find there. In hopes of generating funds to extend the hours and keep it open in the coming year, I am donating all the proceeds of a book I’ve written, to our library.




When the wind rattles Kristy's window she is certain a ghost has come into her room. She repeatedly calls her mother who assures her there is no ghost but still Kristy cannot sleep. From the beginning to the surprising ending, children will have the opportunity to learn the letter “g” and to pronounce its sound as they “help” tell the story.  


Besides providing entertainment, The Ghostly Night will encourage pre-reading skills and articulation development in young children. I hope you’ll consider supporting our library by purchasing this book or passing the information along to others. Here are a few of the people who will appreciate your help:


School librarian, Allison Brown with a sea of kindergarten students.
Photograph by Keith Wyner.


Our photographer, a retired teacher and volunteer, assured the kids:



Thank you, readers, for all you do to support your children, our children and children’s literature! 

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog post, Jeanette! My mother was a school librarian. The best ever! When she passed away, they dedicated the school library in her name. That's the kind of impact libraries and librarians have on people. Save Our School Libraries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You are so right, libraries and librarians have a huge impact on lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally identified with this:

    >>>I remember very clearly the day she told me I’d read every horse story in the library and gently suggested I move on to another topic, like “dogs.”

    Chincoteague forever!

    But this breaks my heart:

    >>>Unfortunately, they can no longer check them out every week due to cutbacks.

    This is an elementary library? Write me at cynthia at cynthialeitichsmith dot com and I can at least send a care package.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!

    I still have an old copy of "Misty of Chincoteague" on my shelf. Inside is a list of other books: Black Gold, Born To Trot, Brighty of the Grand Canyon, Stormy, Misty's Foal, Mustang . . . boy does that bring back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found you on MBS. Check out my blog and follow me back :)
    http://tenderallure.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete